The 4th International SCBWI Australia & New Zealand
Conference was held at the Hughenden Boutique Hotel in
Woollahra in Sydney from the 29th June to 2nd July 2012.
- The illustrator portfolio exhibition displaying delegates' talent to publishers, art directors, media and the children's book industry.
- Panels and insights into publishing today from major Australian publishers, literary agents and Jill Corcoran from the Herman Agency New York.
- Sessions by award winning authors and illustrators covering picture books, historical fiction, children's, young adult, and the educational market.
- Manuscript and portfolio critiques from by Jill Corcoran (US Agent), Zoe Walton (Random House), Lisa Berryman (HarperCollins), Sue Whiting (Walker Books) and commissioning agents and publishers.
- A masterclass day offering hands-on creative craft sessions for both illustrators and authors
- Hands-on social media workshops
- Opportunities to network—a conference banquet dinner, a 'let-your-hair' down night, with a band made-up of multi-talented authors and illustrators, a book swap-and-sell session, three book launches.
In September 2010 the 3rd Biennial International Australia and New Zealand SCBWI conference was held at the Hughenden Hotel in Woollahra, Sydney. Kira Lynn, Publishing Director at Kane Miller Books (USA) was our invited keynote speaker. In addition we were thrilled to have Lin Oliver, the Executive Director of the SCBWI attend and present at our conference.
Feedback from the conference:
- Post-conference I am so energised and focused that I intend being more involved and to go on our SCBWI site/functions more often... Magic does happen. Krista Bell
- Thankyou to everyone involved in putting this conference together! I truly appreciate all of the hard work that went into the weekend. Samantha Hughes
- Congratulations to the organisers and the team who put the conference together. i really appreciate all your hard work and it was another fabulous SCBWI event. Dee White
- I found 2010 SCBWI to be the best conference so far (it is my third). And I never cease to be amazed by the level of interaction it engenders between people from all walks of this publishing life. Sandy Fussell
- It was wonderful that Lin attended this year. Her warmth and enthusiasm enthused the whole Conference. Marjory Gardner
- I thought the conference was absolutely fantastic and I will probably use my SCBWI membership a lot more now. It was a life-altering event - really! I found my tribe! Gay McKinnon
- You should be proud that you pulled together a really neat conference that was worth attending. I loved being there, learning about our industry - just enjoying it! Thank you for giving me that opportunity to attend. Tina Clark