King's School, Remuera, Auckland, Friday 6 - Sunday 8 October 2017
Interested in honing your writing or illustrating skills for children?
Come and be a part of this exciting hui with keynote speakers Brian Falkner, David Hill and Tessa Duder, and a host of acclaimed writers and Illustrators, including Joy Cowley, Gavin Bishop, Donovan Bixley, David Elliot, Kate De Goldi, Kyle Mewburn and Stacy Gregg, all sharing their experience and knowledge in workshops, master classes and panels.
New workshop added to programme
As some workshops are now full, Tessa Duder presents a new workshop on 'the structure of story' - see programme.
Writers and illustrators can participate in one of two pitch slam sessions where registrants have five minutes with an author or an agent. Only hui registrants will be sent the contact email for applications to attend these sessions. All hui attendees who have expressed an interest in attending these sessions will be sent an email so you can rank your preferences. Preference rankings close on Friday 30 September.
Please note publishers and agents' preferences for meeting writers or illustrators:
- Clean Slate Press: illustrators only. Clean Slate Press is particularly interested in seeing the work of illustrators who are experienced in or highly capable of illustrating Maori or Pacific content, in particular traditional tales. Clean Slate is also interested in seeing the work of graphic novel-style illustrators.
- Duck Creek Press: writers and illustrators
Huia Publishing: writers and Illustrators. Huia is interested in Māori writers and illustrators, or stories told from a strong Maori perspective which include Māori values and world views. They want to see stories written in te reo Māori and illustrations where Māori perspectivesare represented.
Makaro Press: writers and illustrators
OneTree House: writers and illustrators
- Oratia Media: writers and illustrators
- Penguin Random House: writers and illustrators
- Scholastic: writers and illustrators
- Upstart Press: writers and illustrators
New Zealand Agents
- Vicki Marsdon and Nadine Rubin Nathan (together): Illustrators and writers
- Frances Plumpton: writers and illustrators
We are also offering extended meetings with the international agents, in addition to the pitch slams. These are limited in number and will be selected by the agents themselves. Everyone registered for the hui will be sent information and a link to the application form.
- Pippa Masson, Australia, Sydney: writers and illustrators
- Kendra Marcus, US, California: writers and illustrators
Tips and Comments for Illustrators attending pitch slam sessions
Please bring a 5-6 page portfolio that best showcases your work and range of styles. These could be submitted on either an electronic device or with actual artwork. It is recommended that at least two of your illustrations show figures and faces. If the agents wish to see more, they will give you their contact details.
Find out more about the full programme on the website, or download a printable pdf version.
Check out our line-up of presenters and panellists and learn about their credentials.
This three-day eventis an invaluable opportunity for creators of children's and YA material from across the country to exchange ideas, socialise, and learn from others. It continues the tradition of children’s authors’ hui which began with a gathering held at Joy Cowley’s home in the Marlborough Sounds in 1992. Similar hui have been held in Wellington and Christchurch in rotation with Auckland.
We welcome published writers and illustrators, both traditional and indie, and also aspiring writers and illustrators as yet unpublished. It’s a chance to build relationships, learn about the market and enhance your skills.
Registrations have now closed for this event.