- Grays Pt PS, Grays PT, Sydney, NSW
- November 11-12, 2012
- Founder: Jodie Slowgrove
- Speakers: Deborah Abela, Duncan Ball, Sue Whiting, Marc McBride, Jackie Hosking, Aleesah Darlison, Serena Geddes and Lesley Vamos.
- Website: www.shirewritersfestival.weebly.com
- Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/shirewritersfestival
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
From very humble beginnings in 2009, this festival has grown to include workshops, author and illustrator talks, publishing consultations, a picture book competition, book launches and signings.
The initial aim of the festival was to create a forum where the local community could hear from some of Australia’s most established and emerging writers and illustrators. Each year the festival hopes to give aspiring writers the tools and industry connections to move towards being published, promote Australian authors and illustrators and encourage kids to love reading.
Beginning as a festival for adults, 2011 saw the inclusion of the first Children’s Day, bringing together 600 students from 17 schools. This is a bustling, buzzing day of high energy where kids moved between venues to listen to authors, illustrators and poets. The festival is non-profit and completely staffed by volunteers and funded by ticket sales and fundraising. This is one of Australia’s smallest but most vibrant literature festivals and with its committed and super friendly volunteers, will only grow and expand to become even bigger and brighter.